Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first sting of the year today right on the cheek !! Went down to the house and got the stinger out without pushing more venom into the site .Thought I would head off any swelling since it wasn't far from my eye with some ice !! Well I won't do that again , the ice made it hurt 10 times worst , anyone hear of that before , I thought it would help .

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Went down to the house and got the stinger out without pushing more venom into the site
Most of the venom is injected with in 20 seconds or so, so unless you are faster than this old man it was already all in :(

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Well............we ice before apitherapy stings, but then wipe the site dry before stinging. I noticed that it has a weird sting pain if the area is wet. I do notice a difference in wet stings vs. dry stings. Maybe that is why you noticed that. Try the ice in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Better than ice, try a cloth rice bag. Put it in the microwave to warm it up a bit and apply to the sting site. Helps move the venom out of the area by improving circulation. It is also soothing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ice makes them swell instantly for me. Pain isn't usually an issue for me as much as swelling. I got stung between the eyes a couple weeks ago, no ice, no swelling till the next day. I had to prove it to my wife last Thursday, so when I got stung on the temple, I applied ice, and it swelled huge in ten mins.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it ended up not swelling much at all, it is right on the cheek bone maybe that has something to do with the ice elevating the sting , I've heard before that stings over bone hurt more than a meaty part .

·
Registered
329 Posts
I try to get them out QUICK... the ones that I am able to get out quickly (read: immediately) are almost not even noticeable within the hour.

I got stung on the bone of my eye socket yesterday and though it didn't swell (much) or hurt really, it does hurt if I touch there (rubbing my eye or whatever). So yes, on the bone is worse. :)

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
mix vodka with the ice and drink it, won't help the swelling but will most definitely kill the pain.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's a wives tale that keeps getting perpetuated . . . Get that stinger out FAST . . . IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW!!!!! Stop spreading that myth.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's a wives tale that keeps getting perpetuated . . . Get that stinger out FAST . . . IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW!!!!! Stop spreading that myth.
Indeed. The venom sac is still attached and pumping venom into to you. Removing it quickly will result in less venom being injected than taking your time to carefully remove it.

Personally, ice does soothe me where I have been stung. I often get itchy, and it removes the itch. Warm things tend to make it itch more.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts