Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a hive inspection today. Both hives are finally Queen right with great population. But they have no honey stores at all. None. What is going on? What should I do with fall/winter approaching?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Do you have robbing going on and the robbers are cleaning out the hives?

I would install robber screens or reduce the entrances to 1/2x1" (or smaller) and start feeding ASAP.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
And the next year (if they make it) consider re-queening.
I got one such hive - full of bees - full of brood still - no honey (talking bone dry in September, after I caught them in June).
They eat ALL they bring in - worthless bee as for me (good for pollination projects down South).
You might have something of the sort.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
More like, Start last month, I've been feeding since late July, nothing blooming, no honey harvest. Oh, and, make some sugar bricks.
You and OP are located in PA vs. CA.
This is speaking of starting "last month" - not necessarily applicable.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Did a hive inspection today. Both hives are finally Queen right with great population. But they have no honey stores at all. None. What is going on? What should I do with fall/winter approaching?
I dont know how long they were queenless but if no new brood for very long you will be short on winter bees. Existing foragers are close to their expiry date. Feed in hive and put insulation around and above the 2:1 syrup to keep them taking it as long as possible. Be prepared to add loose sugar on newspaper on frame tops. Consider some pollen sub if they are not bringing in lots yet. You need young bees as well as stores.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have one hive in the same situation. Bare frames. I added some sugar over the cover. They were being robbed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Check robbing and then feed. Our colonies are often bone dry at the end of the summer dearth but put on enough weight to over winter. I would feed and hope they make it and NOT requeen. Use them as brood factory and feed when needed. Just don't allow them to add drones to your gene pool and don't raise queens from them unless they show some other desireable traits. As mentioned above, healthy brood with no honey is better than plenty honey with unhealthy brood....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm also in Pa and my 3 hives had very little honey all summer. One had none at all 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I had to add 3 supers, all 3 were full! We are covered with Goldenrod right now and the hives are exploding!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts