Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me about using no foundation. Do you just cut maybe 3/8-inch wide wood strips to form an "X" glued to the top, and bottom of frames? Do you do this in your brood box, and all your hives? I thought that small 4.9mm was the hot foudation to control the mites?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I’m not real sure what you are talking about with the 3/8 wood and an x, but you do not have to use foundation. Top Bar Hives do not use foundation. Basically, if you make a frame and give them the space then they will draw from it. If you give them a starter strip of wax or foundation at the top bar of whatever type of frame you are, using then this will help them even more.

No I, use standard frames and 4.9mm foundation.

Yes, many people like the 4.9mm foundation, but before the bees will readily make it “naturally” you will need to step them down from the 5.4mm that they are use to making.

BB

·
Registered
188 Posts
But I've noticed when they make comb on their own, the cells are HUGE.... do they make different size comb in different locations of the hive for different purposes? I believe I have heard some of it refered to as drone comb?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
YOu need something to get them centered on the frame. A bevel on the bottom of the top bar so that it comes to a point works. A starter strip of 4.9mm foundation works. A starter strip of blank wax works. You can make your own sheets by dipping wet boards in wax.

You can even put a stnadard frame between two drawn combs and they will draw it in the middle.

Just don't put a bunch of empty frames in together without anything to get them centered on the top bars.

>But I've noticed when they make comb on their own, the cells are HUGE.... do they make different size comb in different locations of the hive for different purposes? I believe I have heard some of it refered to as drone comb?

The make all different sizes for various purposes and even a variety of sizes for the same purpose.

I've seen from 4.6mm to 5.1mm for worker brood. 5.9 to 6.6 for drone comb and all different sizes for honey storage.

The idea of small cell is to try to get a maximum size of 4.9mm in the brood nest to control the mites. At 4.9mm the cells are capped a day earlier and emerge two days early. This is a big disadvantage for the mites.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts