Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I noticed that one of my hives had no eggs and no brood. Upon inspection, I noticed that there was very little space in the brood box for the queen to lay. When I found the queen, the few cells that she could lay an egg in looked like she was rejecting them. I actually saw her put her rear in a cell and then walk away--maybe she is out of eggs, although I don't believe she is very old. I moved two frames from another have with eggs and brood to that hive. I checked it again last Saturday and found the queen again, some brood but I could not find any eggs. On this last Wednesday I found the queen again, some brood(but very little) and no eggs. Yesterday, I could not fiind the queen and found no eggs. I was going to kill her and try to put another frame of brood from another hive, but since I can't find her I don't know if she is dead. If she is not dead, maybe the hive will still feel she is ok and won't raise a new queen. Furthermore, I can't find any queens for sale. Should I put brood frames in there without finding her, should I put them with another hive, or what? Please advise as I am not that good at this as of yet. If anyone knows where I can get a queen, that would be helpul as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Putting in a frame of brood won't hurt even if the queen is in there. Maybe someone from Fl can provide more info but it could be that your queen is shutting down production because of A - no flow and B - it's winter. I wouldn't introduce another queen until I was certain there is no queen in there. This time of year it will be hard to find a queen for sale. The worst thing that can happen is that you will have to do a newspaper combine of the two hives. This will give you a stronger hive into spring and you can split and intro a new queen at that time.

Good luck. How were the races this year?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this time I only have 7 hives, and all the rest have brood. If I find the queen, are you saying that I should not kill her? As to the races, I'll address that on a private message.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The only place you'll find queens now is Hawaii. I've ordered from them before and the queens arrived in good health and just as fast as ordering from a mainland supplier. That was about 10 years ago, but look in the bee publications and you'll find their ads. You might also try putting a frame of eggs in from one of your other hives and see if they build cells. We still have lots of drones in our hives and you're a little farther south so it might work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As warm as it is here in South-central Fl, I am amazed that there exists no queen breeders year round. If I knew a lot more than I do about bees, and if I did not have a regular job to put food on the table, I would consider it myself. If, if, if,.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of my other hives have eggs and/or brood. This is the only one. Today's highs are about 80 with lows tonight in 60s. This morning the bees were all over my "butterfly vine", making a tremendous buzz.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
All of my other hives have eggs and/or brood. This is the only one. Today's highs are about 80 with lows tonight in 60s. This morning the bees were all over my "butterfly vine", making a tremendous buzz.
Then I suspect your hive is queenless or she is not laying. Have you tried placing a frame with eggs from another hive into it? They should raise a new queen if you do this if they are queenless. If you decide to order a new queen, then I would suggest you go through the hive really well before into. I would also pull a couple of frames from your other hives with nurse bees and place these in the center of your queenless hive, then place the queen cage between these. The reason is nurse bees are more accepting of a new queen the older field bees and if they have gone awhile without brood then that's what you are going to have.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I found some queens from a Hawaiian dealer who will send some out tomorrow. I will try to find the queen again tonight. If I find her, I'll squish her and do as you said. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Good luck. Depending on the breeder in Hawaii they produce some pretty good queens.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I'd be a little leary about Hawaiian or Ausi queens. I don't think they have any varroa resistance. Might be fine for almond pollinators who dump their bees after pollination.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts