Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title sums it up.I released the queen one week ago today,after 3 day acceptance period.Comb is being drawn,pollen is coming in,nothing unusual.I've been feeding 1:1 sugar syrup,pollen patty.With the dwindling population of the package bees I'm concerned that in a minimum of three weeks from now(4 plus weeks total) there wont be any nurse bees remaining to care for the brood.At what point do I assume I don't have a viable queen and order another one? I appreciate any input. DAN

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a new beek.... but I think you might have some eggs that you can't see yet - those darn eggs are SO tiny, and on brand-new comb it can be impossible to see the new eggs. Have you seen the queen? If she's there and the others are attending to her I wouldn't worry yet. I would wait another week before checking to see if there are larvae in there, you should be able to see them by then. Good luck - I know it can be nerve wrecking to wait!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Do you see the queen? Can you watch her checking cells and laying? Eggs are not obvious. Especially in wax or white plastic foundation. I would wait another week. I actually try not to disturb the newly released hive for a couple of weeks after installing her. I just open the top and remove the cage and close it back up.

After a couple of weeks after they release her you should see brood.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.I have not seen the queen-she is unmarked.I don't think there are eggs I haven't seen.I started with two packages but my other one absconded. Ironicly,they left behind eggs!The point is, I know what to look for.I guess now my question is:Is this my only shot at having a successful colony?If after another week,and assuming no eggs,will there still be time to order another queen,have her accepted,then another three weeks minimum before a population increase?That will be pushing seven weeks from the time I got my bees.Given their lifespan it doesn't seem feasible.Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts