Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out today removing apivar strips in some of my yards and it dawned on me that I cannot recall the last time I saw a bee with dwv. Certainly not in 2020 or 21.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
I was out today removing apivar strips in some of my yards and it dawned on me that I cannot recall the last time I saw a bee with dwv. Certainly not in 2020 or 21.
Anyone else?
I have noticed my Caucasian bees tend to get it. But I haven't seen it on any Russians or Carnicas.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had not really noticed it, but now that you bring it up I haven't seen any either.

Reactions: Struttinbuck

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Anyone else?
I seem to see much less. I noticing it in only one hive this year. Unfortunately, I am starting to see bees that I believe have CBPV more frequently these last couple of seasons.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I seem to see much less. I noticing it in only one hive this year. Unfortunately, I am starting to see bees that I believe have CBPV more frequently these last couple of seasons.
How are you determining that?

I saw 2 cases of dwv in 2 different locations this year, about 6 weeks apart. In both hives the mite counts were under 3%.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Marcin:

A couple of indicators. First, my state apiary inspector has me on a rotation for a for a program they run where they will, every few years, come take several samples from one of my yards and send those into Beltsville for testing. In 2018, the report came back with an indication of CBPV. Second, is the observation of of slick or "greasy" hairless bees that seem fairly inactive on the frames. Here is a picture of one on the bottom bar of the frame:

Beehive Pollinator Arthropod Wood Insect

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is interesting that several people seem to have seen the same sort of thing. I haven’t changed my mite treatment strategy in the past few years. After honey harvest, around August, I either put in apivar strips or use apiguard. I am not stingy with either one. Most of my hives are double deeps and frequently get three apivar strips or sometimes four and I always use apiguard at full strength. In mid December I do at least one round of oav….sometimes two rounds.
Historically after honey harvest when going through the hives as I’m treating it was common to see a number of dwv bees in some of the hives. Yesterday, as I was removing apivar strips I marveled at how good everyone looked….and it struck me that there weren’t any with dwv. I tried to recall the last time I’d seen one….and as I said…certainly not 2020 or 21.
Maybe covid? Just kidding.

Reactions: G3farms

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
To those who know about my 5 year TF attempt run...

Granted I had terrible survival record, I only clearly remember pronounced 3-4 cases of DWV out of 60+ colonies (this completely off the chems).
Pretty much only when you are in ~20-30% mite count territory you may see well pronounced DWV.
Which is consistent with the so-called "mite-bomb".
So one can pretty much say - you see DWV, you see a "mite bomb".

Sounds like you have not been seeing "mite bombs" lately.
Whatever it means.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
2016 or 17, not sure which. Lost 2 hives. It was full-on massive mites, crawlers, horrible.
Since then I have seen one or two bees with bad wings, once in a great while, and some drone brood that I uncapped appeared to have damaged wings, but the workers appeared fine, rarely sick bees being dragged out.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
...is the observation of of slick or "greasy" hairless bees that seem fairly inactive on the frames.
Ironically, this has been my observation as well. No visible signs of DWV but a smattering of what looks like CBPV. There seems ever to be another threat around the corner in beekeeping...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It is possible to have DWV without the obvious symptom of shriveled wings.
From Texas Apiary Services website:

" Deformed wing virus affects all stages of honey bee development. The severity of this virus greatly depends on the stage in which the individual bee is infected. Individuals infected as adults are asymptomatic and appear normal. Pupae infected in the white eye stage, often make it to adulthood, however, they are malformed and die soon afterward. Brood infected before that time usually die during development."

Also,as our bee stocks get more hygienic,diseased pupa are removed before becoming adults.
How many see uncapped and partially chewed pupa?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone else?
Unfortunately I had a few bees with dwv this year on my hive of Italians. Treated and had a pretty big mite drop. A friend of mine who also keeps bees noticed it on a swarm she caught this year. I definitely should’ve treated earlier this year. FWIW I live in Michigan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts