Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in northern VT we have not had a warm day since winter began. This is my first winter I have two well stocked hives. How much longer can the bees go without a poo? Should I try and get the hives inside a large shed that I could briefly heat to 60? They could poop over everything and I wouldn't care. I'm not one to let them die without trying something. Or am I worrying too much?

·
Super Moderator
11,005 Posts
Bees need for cleansing flights is related to the amount of solids (pollen) that they are consuming. In a cold winter such as Vermont, when they are not raising brood the consumption of pollen is minimal, and the need to poop can be extended. A page from Randy Oliver that covers part of this mechanism:

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/fat-bees-part-1/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Mike,
It did get to 53F for about an hour at my house that day, and a few, maybe 20,
buzzed about outside the hive but nothing like what I've read about or was expecting. (I sat by the hive and watched/waited for the exodus)

Anyway thanks to ALL for the responses and encouragement.

My bees had a small flight in the middle of January when it made it to the upper 40s. Didn't yours? I thought Burlington made it to 50. Last year the first flight was April 1.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I checked out historical weather, they should have had flights, i see multiple days in the 50's. My hives come out in the upper forties if its sunny, perhaps not everyone but some take a load off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, sure wish I lived wherever you saw multiple days in the 50's, because it didn't happen at my house. Thanks for checking on that, I can use all the encouragement I can get.
I checked out historical weather, they should have had flights, i see multiple days in the 50's. My hives come out in the upper forties if its sunny, perhaps not everyone but some take a load off.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Yeah no problem pal. Maybe you just didn't notice, I totally understand.

According to accuweather Burlington, Vermont

December 54,51
January 51,52,49

Luckily for us flying weather all next week in the 60's, maybe even this weekend. Looks like spring is starting to break-thru.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Yeah no problem pal. Maybe you just didn't notice, I totally understand.

According to accuweather Burlington, Vermont

December 54,51
January 51,52,49
I'm 25 miles north of Burlington. While we're always a few degrees colder than Vermont's Queen city, the bees didn't take flight except once for a very small, short flight in mid-January. The air temperature doesn't always reflect bee flight. This time of the year, when we get a 45-50 degree day it's because a storm is moving through with prevailing winds from the south. With that wind, and the clouds and a few sprinkles, the bees don't fly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts