Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first year beekeeper. I have 2 hives, one was a package and the other was a nuc. Both hives are increasing with the number of bee's. There is a lot of brood and larvae seen. But what is troubling is that I don't see any capped honey. Is this normal? I did have capped honey in my packaged hive in June, but I don't see any now. I got my nuc Memorial Day and although they are multiplying I don't have any capped honey. How are they going to survive the winter? Should I be feeding them again?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I harvested a few weeks ago for the 1st time. 2 weeks before harvest almost no honey was capped. I had already committed to work with a friend so I decided to pull off what I had the day before. I got 8 frames that yielded 30#.

After putting the frames back in hope of a fall harvest, things look the same as they did before. I have my fingers crossed. Cross yours.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
This is a bit early to be majorly worried about winter stores. You don't mention in your post if you are seeing nectar and bee bread (pollen) in your hives. If you don't see progress with stores by mid September then you can start feeding for winter. Now focus on making sure you have plenty of healthy bees to over winter in your hive. If you haven't done a mite check, do one ASAP. Mite compromised brood/winter bees often make a difference in a colony's ability of over winter - even with adequate stores.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts