Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a cutout today and was looking forward to see how much honey I was going to get out of it.

Zero, nada, nothing, zilch.

I was amazed. Just a few comb pieces of nectar but nothing for capped honey. The hive was producing brood of amazing quantities and I believe the bees were feeding all the nectar they could round up to the brood larva.

Is this normal for this time of year?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did a cutout today (TX too)...massive brood...a lot of honey. I hived them...used rubber bands and tried to save as much as possible...hope I got the queen. If the hive has been disturbed a lot...I sometimes find a lot less honey...maybe it had recently swarmed? I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else has to say.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Probably an early summer swarm that hasn't been in its new residence for long enough to do anything but start up a brood cycle and feed 'em.

As a rule I try not to cutout newly settled swarms. They almost never stay in the relocated hive; they're just too disturbed and unsettled, and take off within a day or two.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hive was an old hive with 7 sheets of comb, including the two smaller end pieces. Most of the comb was dark brown and the newest comb was a deep tan. No new wax to speak of.

I apologize for not including that and no, I didn't take any pics. Bringing home the digital camera covered with sticky honey is not making "my" queen be very happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts