- Russian hive started in mid-April from package
- Queen seen and apparently healthy
- Two deep boxes filled with comb and one empty super
- Bottom deep box filled with bees, a little pollen, and normal drone brood on the outside frames
- Second deep box about 2/3 filled with honey
- Comb building completely stopped 3 weeks ago
- No SHB or Wax Moths detected
- Varroa is present but very negligible; 4 to 5 varroa on test board after 72 hours; no deformed wing virus detected
- One apparent supersedure cell and one apparent swarm cell both found on one frame
- Overall the hive is full and healthy but there is simply no worker brood
My questions/concerns are:
Has the hive simply gone into conservation mode due to the probability of a dearth?
Has the queen run out of sperm and simply cannot lay fertilized eggs?
If the queen has run out of sperm and the workers know it, should I simply let them develop those queen cells and take care of themselves or should I attempt to kill the current queen and re-queen?