Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brood box is empty except for honey stores. The queen is in the upper super. Should there be no eggs or brood now?
Sorry for the newby question. -Tim

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
Maybe someone from NC can tell you what it should be there this time of year, but there is no brood in most of my hives here in Nebraska right now. I looked through them a few days ago and I found a very small patch of emerging brood in a few and none in most of them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Most of my bees (around Raleigh, NC) still have some brood but are close to shutting down for the year. If your hive is strong, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hive seems to be strong. I'm gonna continue feeding. -Tim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my first time wintering the hive. I took the supers off and dropped to 2 boxes with an entrance reducer and a feeder. We have fairly mild winters here. (not alot of snow) The top brood chamber is slammed full of honey. They are filling up the brood frames in the bottom box now. I'm praying my girl's do well. Shouldn't they be kicking the Drones out soon?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Went through all my six hives a couple of weeks ago and all but the strongest had very very little brood. Most of the hives had kicked out drones some time back. Sounds like you're in good shape. How's your fall mite drop counts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts