Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hive has been without a queen for a while - waiting for it to emerge then mate.

Looked in and found there is no brood nest. Nothing but honey.
The queen was there, I removed her this visit to requeen.
Where is the new queen going to lay?
2 deep brood chambers of honey! Honey super not even a drop.
A little aggravating... Their hogs!

What do I do? No extractor.. beside there may be some syrup mixed in to some of the frames.

:)
Mike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well you need to take a few of them honey frames and either extract them or cut them to give the queen room to lay eggs or she will be honey bound! Thats what i will do, im sure you will have other opinions...:)
or if you have that much honey put them in a super and put empty frames in the deep for the queen to lay eggs! Just a thought!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Your post sounds a bit odd, first you say the queen has not been there for a while then you say you removed her this inspection.

If the queen hasn't laid for a while then it is fairly common to have alot of backfilled and honey bound frames, simply because there is no brood to care for. Brood consumes alot of nectar, and once the new queen starts laying, I would venture to guess alot of those frames will start loosing weight.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I had exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and I was going to give them some empty frames, but by the time I got back (3-4 days) they had moved it around and there was bunches of eggs and brood. In my case it wasn't honey, but rather open nectar. If you do put an empty frame (with some kind of starter strip) in the area where the brood nest should be they will (probably) draw new comb on it in just a few days and the queen will lay in it as fast as they build it - probably.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your post sounds a bit odd, first you say the queen has not been there for a while then you say you removed her this inspection.
Sorry if it is confusing - I thought I had explained it. They have been without a queen for a whie since they have been waiting for the queen to emerge from the cell, and then mate.

I removed her to make way for a purchased queen. We are requeen just about all the hives with new stock - hoping next year to be producing our own queens (greatly reducing costs). In fact I would eventually like to bring in feral stock to mix and maybe offer queens on a small scale.

Anyway - Thanks for the info. I was hoping that would be the way it went.

I made a mistake. In another hive I also pulled a queen for stocking with a new purchased queen. I caged her waiting to decide if we wanted to use her elsewhere. Decided to kill her and as I went to crush her she flew off. I raced back to the hive to shut the entrance. Couldn't do that because there were to many other bees going and coming. Got a stick to smash her as she came in and missed her :D :doh: Now I have to go in again tomorrow to remove her again.... A good reason, if for no other, to clip the queen.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts