Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that odd? It seems odd. The entire broodnest is in the upper deep. The goldenrod just started up here, and I haven’t even seen asters yet, so we have at least a month, probably over two, before the killing frosts start.

I wonder, will they make space in the lower for a larger broodnest, or do I need to add a deep/rearrange? I don’t have any drawn foundation, so if I’m adding, I want to do it soon so they have plenty of time to work it.

This is my new queen, and she's finally getting up to speed, but doesn't seem to be as good a layer as my original queen.

I guess I'm worried about them going into winter, but they don't need as much brood as the productive season, so maybe everything is just hunky dory.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
If you want the queen to expand the brood nest just reverse the deep boxes and move a frame of brood into the center of the new upper box. If you are in a nectar dearth a slow feeding of 1:1 syrup helps to keep the queen laying.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
What is in the lower deep? Anything? a little pollen and sealed honey perhaps? With fall quickly approaching in your area (an assumption that may be incorrect) my inclination would be to reverse. If the queen moves up, fine. But the odds are they'll start storing honey etc in the top in preparation for winter. At any rate, with the vacancy below, you don't need to go adding something new on top. Simply reverse.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
As the bees keep bringing in nectar the queen will be forced down. If you keep adding supers on top then they won't push her down. If you pulled all your supers now the bees will fill the top deep and force the brood nest into the bottom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts