Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day before the snow storm past through CT (about 10 days ago) I filled my bird feeders with fresh seed. It was the first use of the feeders for season. Usuallly it takes a day or two before the birds "find" the feeders. What's odd is that birds have not been feeding at all. Normally we would have Cardinals, Blue Jays and any number of other birds visiting our yard. Starlings aren't showing up either.

I don't know if anyone else has had a simular experience...

I almost posted this in Tailgater because I suspect that someone would find a connection to Obama...

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
We've had a lot of snow over the last couple of days and my feeders are overloaded with birds. Cardinal, mourning dove, sparrow, nuthatch, finch, chickadee, woodpeckers etc. I have to fill our feeders every other day!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Pretty much the same situation here as Barry has. Filling almost every other day. Good mix of birds but more finches this year than ever.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Every other day :scratch: I have to fill mine every day and sometimes 2 times a day guess its just my welfare birds, only time my feeders are not loaded with birds is when Mr. Hawk is around :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
What is everyone putting out, seed wise?

I buy a 50lb. bag of black sunflower and mix it with a 20lb. bag of general mixed bird seed. I also have suet cakes, and thistle seed in its own feeder. The sparrows sure waste a lot. They will pick through the seed for select stuff and drop all the rest on the ground. I'm not too bothered as the ground feeding birds (mourning dove, cardinal) get fed then.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I would buy a pellet gun, shoot the doves and eat’em.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thistle in one and woodpecker mix in another...

A few birds have visited the thistle feeder but the large feeder is untouched.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
What is everyone putting out, seed wise?

I buy a 50lb. bag of black sunflower and mix it with a 20lb. bag of general mixed bird seed. The sparrows sure waste a lot.
"If your feeder is overrun with blackbirds, pigeons, or house sparrows, stop offering mixed seed "

The Mixed has Millet in it and the sparrows love it I stoped useing the mix and now hardly any sparrows around, I have sunflower seed - thistle seed - suet - and some mix that my Daughter bought me for my BD so I gota use it, the mix is mostly sunflower hearts and peanuts.
Thistle at this time of the year is a waste the Fenches only seam to eate it in spring--dang piicky birds :(

Oh and one more thing watch the sunflower seed I bought a bag and it has some kinda moths in it I got it setting outside now to kill them and for the record "PeraMoth" did not kill the larva they were crawling on it :doh:

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
I have a thistle feeder up, a feeder with safflower seed, a feeder with sunflower hearts, and tray with black oil sunflower seeds, and one with wild finch mix, plus 3 suet cakes. I'm seeing mostly cardinals, house finches, and goldfinches, but I have a few chickadees and a couple of woodpeckers too.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snip

I'm seeing mostly cardinals, house finches, and goldfinches, but I have a few chickadees and a couple of woodpeckers too.

dragonfly,

Could you direct some to birds zip code 06807...

I'm going to call the local Audubon Center tomorrow to see if anyone else has a "lack" of birds.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
dragonfly,

Could you direct some to birds zip code 06807...

I'm going to call the local Audubon Center tomorrow to see if anyone else has a "lack" of birds.
The birds down here are a little on the wimpy side when it comes to cold weather. I don't think they could survive in your neck of the woods.;)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
In previous years we had the bird feeders near the house--then mice and rats showed up-we quit the normal type feeders.
We started to place the rib cages of butchered deer carcasses tied into limbs of pine trees-birds love the resource.
I know-I know, not for the in towners and cul de sacs, but if you live in country without close neighbors it works. Also we have mesh bags like onion bags and grapefruit bags filled with bear fat hanging in the trees.
Crude but effective.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Hambone says: "I would buy a pellet gun, shoot the doves and eat’em."

You skipped wrapping them in bacon and grilling them. That is one of the best things there is in the world to eat. Top 10 great eats ever.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
We started to place the rib cages of butchered deer carcasses tied into limbs of pine trees-birds love the resource.
Seriously?:s If that's true, I'll give it a try. I hate throwing away the ribs, but there's not enough meat there to be taking up freezer space.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
You skipped wrapping them in bacon and grilling them. That is one of the best things there is in the world to eat. Top 10 great eats ever.
I figured that went without saying. That is some good eats! You left out the peno though. ;):)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i put up 2 rib cages this year, and still have a frozen solid deer in the shed to cut up. the grey jays and stellar jays, and woodpeckers, and some little birds, probably chickadees are constantly pecking on them. the stellar jay is coming on the porch for pet food which the kids love. i don't get magpies here which i had hoped. they are all over the area just none around the house.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've never tried thistle seed though I've thought about it many times. I've always been afraid that I would introduce thistles into my yard. How about it, do thistle seed feeders spread thistles around the yard?
George

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm very familiar with the bylaws of our condo association...

There are restrictions against having clotheslines and basketball hoops but the suspension of deer carcasses and bear fat from the trees is not mentioned.

The $35.00 bag of Woodpecker Mix hasn't attracted any birds but maybe I can find a "used but good" ribcage to do the job. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts