Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a drive northward up California's I-5, through the heart of the San Joaquin Valley agricultural empire, I passed a lot of fields and orchards.

In front of one orchards was a big sign that read, "Beekeepers: No Bees within 2 Miles, Please!!!"

I didn't get a chance to see what type of trees were in the orchard, but this seemed like a very odd sign.

Does anyone know why someone would request this?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've heard if you get too many pollinators on some fruit like tangerines they produce too many seeds. Just speculating but that may be the reason for the sign.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
E-spice is correct. To grow pipless oranges they have to be not pollinated by bees, if they get pollinated they will have pips.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard if you get too many pollinators on some fruit like tangerines they produce too many seeds. Just speculating but that may be the reason for the sign.
Thanks! Yes, it could very well have been some sort of citrus.

I wonder if they know that bees can't read . . .

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I was looking into buying some shade cloth a few years back. One of the FAQS stated this particular size was perfect for excluding Honey bees from the Clementine orchards.

That was the first I had heard of such a thing.

Alex

·
Registered
36 Posts
Now the mystery is solved for me. My tangerines have plenty of seeds since I started keeping bee. I have been scratching my head until I see this post and everything makes sense now.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
If it's just one tree Tom you could maybe wrap it in shade cloth during flowering. If it's a lot of trees, not sure what to do.

Over in my part of the world, there have been instances of bees being intentionally poisoned by angry citrus growers.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Probably wanting seedless citrus, the big growers net all the trees during bloom, probably too pricey for the little guys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it's just one tree Tom you could maybe wrap it in shade cloth during flowering. If it's a lot of trees, not sure what to do.

Over in my part of the world, there have been instances of bees being intentionally poisoned by angry citrus growers.
Thank you for the advice. It is only one tree also we don’t mind that it has seeds. Last night my 3 year old son ate 2 of them and spit out like 20 seeds but he said it is tasty so
I probably leave it the way it is for now.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The seedless Mandarins ("Little Cuties" and "Halos") cannot be pollinated or they develop seeds. Along Ca 166 from Maricopa to the foot of the Grapevine there are miles of Mandarins covered seasonally with netting. The netting is rolled up out of flowering season on enormous spools. The "Halos" trademark is owned by the Almond powerhouse "Wonderful" and they use a portion of the 166 frontage as an enormous marshalling yard for their almond bees in season. There is interesting blood thirsty trade fight on the "Little Cuties" brand name, when Wonderful tried to control the market. California legislation was passed to attempt to regularize the seedless citrus- bee wars when the seedless mandarin fad took off about 2008. The trade press at the time indicated that netting cost about $800/acre/year. Netting is still used on a huge scale, but California UC Davis has released a non-seeding regardless of cross pollination variety ("tango")

Cite: https://www.westernfarmpress.com/panel-takes-seedless-mandarins-and-bees-controversy-0

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Good to hear one has been developed that can be pollinated and still be seedless. That will save some beekeepers a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On a drive northward up California's I-5, through the heart of the San Joaquin Valley agricultural empire, I passed a lot of fields and orchards.

big sign that read, "Beekeepers: No Bees within 2 Miles, Please!!!"

Does anyone know why someone would request this?
Owner of site doesn't want pollination or cross-pollination.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts