Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hived a package today that didnt have any attendants in it. New to this so all i have to go by is what was said at beek class and here! it was a so called california queen cage if that makes any difference? Also was a heck of a lot more bees than a 3lb package...this compared to a "3 lb" package they dumnped in class! Hardly any dead in the bottom either!!! Plus the queen was obviously very healthy the way she was moving around in the cage!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
You probably have a California mini cage.
When a pakage crew goes into the field they bring all their equipment for shaking and filling the cages and they also bring the queen bank so that the operation runs smoothly.
Good luck with your bees,
Ernie

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've only ordered queens once, but they did come with 3 or 4 attendants in each cage. They were purchased thru Kona Queen. I would order from them again and might if 2 of these recently caught swarms don't cool down.

Craig

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Not when you are getting them in large quantities. The attendants can be on the outside. I always get queens shipped to me in groups of 100 or more. They never have attendants in the cage. If you are getting small numbers of queens then it may be easier for the supplier to have the attendants in with the queen.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Thank you Mr. Bush for another answer. As I was reading the threads I was wondering why the differience, then you answered it. Now the next question. Why attendants without package and none with? I assume I know but you know what assume does.

·
Registered
142 Posts
queens need attendants always so if they are in a package the queen will be in her cage in with the bees that make up the package.
If it's just a queen in a cage not part of a package then she has to have the bees inside with her.
Either way she has attendants and as Micheal said if she dosn't she wont last long.
kiwi

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
Basically a queen can't feed herself. The bees outside (as in a package) will feed her through the screen. If there are no bees outside to feed her, then you need bees inside to feed her. Since you have to catch the attendants and put them in the cages, most package producers don't bother with attendants. On the other hand if you have a bunch of queens that you already put the attendants in, it's easier to leave them...

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Just hived 10 packages from California yesterday, all packages came with queens inside the packages, but no attendants in the queen cage, also there was no candy for the bees to chew through, just a cork at one end of the cage. I direct released them all, and there was no problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I recieved 3 queens about a week ago from Walter T Kelly, all had 4 workers in the cage with each queen, but they were queens only and no packages.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts