Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.
I haven't had bees for a couple years and am planning to use VOA and MAQs for treatment. The question I have is with the VOA treatments. I have 2 new packages installed in hives and thought I would do a VOA treatment before they have any capped brood. I haven't read anything about time of day to treat, only that it needs to be over 40 degrees at the time of treatment. Does anyone do the treatments at night, to have all the bees in the hive at the time of treatment?
Thanks for any advice.
Bob

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I wouldn't do it at night Bob. They are grumpy and you will need a light which they do not like. Stuff goes wrong in the dark. Best to do it early am before they get going. And for future reference, its OAV. J

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've done it at night quite a few times. It works fine. It helps if you can have your headlights shining on the hives and everything you are working with.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I've often applied VOA - Vapourised (past tense) Oxalic Acid - at night, and providing you can see what you're doing, it's fine.

FWIW, it's not essential to have all the bees in the box at the time of application, as the OA dust (which is what covers the bees, being generated by vapourisation) stays around for a day or two. But if evening/night is more convenient, then go for it.
LJ

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
If you are treating with a band heater type through a 1/4" hole through the back of the hive what does it matter what time it is as you will close off the hive entrance, who cares how grumpy the bees get, its all about how dead the mites get.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are treating with a band heater type through a 1/4" hole through the back of the hive what does it matter what time it is as you will close off the hive entrance, who cares how grumpy the bees get, its all about how dead the mites get.
Are these band heaters available commercially? Or just homemade?

- djb

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
If you want to build one yourself take a look in Equipment and hardware for the thread "Band heater vaporizer" or they are available in the For Sale section under the thread "Johno's Easy Vap"

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I used to think the best time to treat was when everyone was home but have changed my mind on it. Varroa has a strong preference for attaching itself to nurse bees, not foragers. By treating when the foragers are gone, I believe you get better distribution since there is less congestion in the hive and a slightly heavier dose applied to each of the bees. I have tried it both ways but have not found a noticeable difference in effectiveness. The best time to treat is when it is convenient for you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've sometimes treated at night. A head torch with a red LED bulb can make things easier and the bees don't see it. It also doesn't mess up your night vision. Take care with trailing wires if you run the vaporiser off a generator.

·
Registered
679 Posts
More often than not I wind up doing it at night. I try to keep things here at the house as out of sight as possible. But mostly because I have other responsibilities and can't get to it until after sundown. Yes, they are much crankier than doing it during the day.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I want my foragers treated in the hive. While the nurse bees may be the final drop off point to the cell, foragers are bringing the mites into the hive as a matter of course and by robbing. They also drift between hives. In my case, all spring/summer treatments entail removing honey supers. Not doing that at night. But of course, if that's the only time you have to do it, go ahead. J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts