Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The white hive is a package, about 1 month old. Just noticed that these guys are just hanging out at night.
The light green hive is my hive that swarmed last week. its a year old hive. I caught the swarm and its doing the same thing. (no pic of that)

It was sunny and warm here in CT today. Getting colder this evening with a thunderstorm approaching. Maybe 65 degrees right now.

What the heck are they doing? I thought they stayed in the hive at night.

night1.jpg

night2.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
They beard on the outside at night when its hot inside and they need to cool it down. I live in the same area as you and today we had a rather warm and humid day and then it dropped this evening. They should go inside with the cool air.

What kind of ventilation do you have? I noticed with my hives, I had to open them up a bit more this week due to humidity and condensation inside the hive.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The green hive has a hole drilled in each box, there are 4 mediums. I also shimmed the inner cover with popsicle sticks to provide a bit of air flow

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine do the same thing, and I get a large beard on the bottom, even the box front is covered. I took a closer look, some were fanning, and some were festooning. Notice on your hive it is only on one side of the entrance, so I think they are helping circulate air out of the hive. I recently had a an explosion of new bees, so it could also be a gathering spot for newbies learning to fly. The strange thing is they don't all go in at night, and I had a bunch that stayed out in a rain storm. Odd creatures.

New Bee Lady:p

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You should see them out here in the desert. You'd think they didn't know they were supposed to go in the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts