Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I go out and look at my hive just now (9pm) and found this:
20140328_210858.jpg

It is 72 and we had a decently warm and sunny day today. I have a screened bottom board sitting on cinder blocks (holes facing up). Do I need better ventilation?

This is a capture that I either got REALLY lucky and vacuumed the queen or there is a laying worker should find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You have screened bottom boards which is great. What have you got at the top to let the hot air out. I use a screen across the top of my hives, and an opening 200 mm x 20 mm in the lids. The bearding you have is only small. Sometimes the whole front can be covered. Hope you have a good year. Geoff

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably don't have adequate upper ventilation.

I have an inner cover with no notch and a telescoping top.

Below that I have a bunt cake style feeder on a plywood lid with just one hole (for the feeder). This feeder had some "feet", but not enough for the bees to fit. I plan on using upper entrances but I do have a concern with using one while running a syrup feeder up top. Will there not be a greater chance of robbing with this setup?

Just trying to figure out the best way to do all the various things I'd like to do.

Oh, I slid my phone in there last night and they were clustering on the bottom of the top of the frames in the bottom box (3 eight frame mediums). Plan is to go in there tomorrow and see what is going on Better in that second box.

My wife will be helping (and the 4 year old), so hopefully I will be a bit faster and more effective. I will also mount my flip HD somewhere to film, maybe I'll break out one of the dslr's on a tripod and get some real close up action in glorious 1080p! ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
60 degrees last night and it seemed colder.

The girls were hanging out again.

I ran my phone in the hive (they were all to one side) and they were just balled up on the bottom of the top wedges in the bottom box.

Why are some of them hanging out at the entrance at night even when I'm ready to head inside because of the chill in the air. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm kicking this up from the grave again.

It's 52 degrees out with a slight drizzle blowing on the front of the hive... Yet there are about 30 bees hanging out there.

The other night it was down in the 60s and they were crawling on the front like ants when something is dropped in their pile. They do this EVERY night and only at night.

During the day they look like a normal hive, coming and going as any hive would.

Screened bottom board (though it isn't fully exposed due to cinder blocks a little closer than they should be). No top entrance or slit in the inner cover either.

Two 8 mediums that they are still working on... Probably about 60% on the second medium... Should be hatching brood now (they were rescued/installed on the 23rd of march).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just having a "union" meeting is all ...no thing to see move along... Looking forward to those pictures...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts