Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a hot location where its always in the 100s and I keep a ventilation rim on my warre hive and its got shade almost throughout the entire day. I sometimes have a few bees fanning the entrance (less than 4) but I've never seen them bearding during the day. I like to check up on the hive at night and look into the hive windows to see the hive's night activities, its really cool. The odd thing is that I do see a lot of bees bearding the hive entrance, complete bearding and sometimes I'll see bees stacked upon bees in a big cluster. The bees do not fan though, theyre just laying around. I have an empty box on the bottom of the hive that hasn't been being built on, if theres enough bees that they'll occupy themselves on the entrance of the hive because there isn't space for them inside the hive, why aren't they building room for themselves in the empty box?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Got to think outside the box for a moment and remember how the bees want their inside temps to be. When bees occupy a space, they tend to want to keep the inside of that space a nice cozy 92-94 deg F to keep their brood alive. When it gets above that, they either fan, or they just walk out on the board to decrease body mass heat. It is normal as can be. Now as far as the building of comb, got to think about that one again. When bees draw comb, they sweat the wax, which consumes honey/sugar syrup and creates moisture and heat. An open area is easier to allow heat or cool to enter than to have it drawn with comb, also the excess heat isn't needed. Bees will ONLY draw wax when it is needed. Either during a flow/simulated flow, or when they have no comb for the queen to lay in.

IMO at this point, don't worry about the bees bearding a little, nothing wrong with it..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Bees "hang out on the front porch" every summer. It's only a problem when their partying gets carried-away and the band they've hired is playing just a little bit too loud . . . Must be all those margaritas. ;)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Bees "hang out on the front porch" every summer. It's only a problem when their partying gets carried-away and the band they've hired is playing just a little bit too loud . . .
LOL Want to break up that party? Get really really close with your brightest flashlight and shine it on them. Yeap...thats when the bouncers of the party start doing their job!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts