Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the space needed between cell bars?
I want to use two bars with a little comb above the top one.
Thanks for your help
Dean

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. Using the Nicot system, I attached my cell cup holders to a regular top bar, and with the grooved top bar (not the wedge) you can nail those little brown round things right to it.

The top bar sits in my cell builder like a regular frame.

I added side bars to keep the top bar spaced right.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
246 Posts
I used a medium cell bar frame. I cut the height (thickness) of the top bar down to 1/2" before assembling the frame. I put the brown cell cup holders on the bottom side of the topbar for one row, and then installed a second cell bar which was 1/8" plywood ,....the top of which was 2-3/4" from the bottom of the topbar. In other words there's 2-3/4" of space between the two cell bars, and 2-1/2" of space from the 2nd cell bar to the bottom bar of the frame.
I put 10 cell cups on each frame centered within the middle, and the bees have built comb at the edges between the outer cups and the sidebars.

In a deep frame I guess you could space them 2-3/4" apart leaving plenty of room above the top cell bar for them to build comb. ;)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Okay, now I know what you mean. I have such a frame/bar that was made for a deep brood box that has one row of cell cup holders on the top bar, then another bar half way down on the deep end bar.

It also has notches for other cell bars but it is obvious they are too short.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/revgrant1/queenrearing2.jpg
This cell bar holder was from a commercial queen rearing kit I bought from a retiring beekeeper so I can't really add too much additional information.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
143 Posts
Those are way too far apart. Also If you plan to use the cages at all you will not have room for any comb above the bar unless you plan to only run 1 bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies and pictures.
using a deep frame I put about 1 1/2" plastic foundation above my first bar and centered lower bar below. giving me about 3".
think I'll make another with a sliding removable bar like some of you have.
Dean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts