Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a semi-retired medical malpractice attorney in SE Michigan & found my real passion in beekeeping. I have always been interested in science and nature & love being outside in any kind of weather-sure beats sitting in an office. I'm almost done with Cornell's Master Beekeeping classes & am designing a study to measure how long honey bees continue have decreased viral loads after being fed 1% reishi mushroom extract & 1:1 sugar water. It's based on Paul Stamets' work regarding mushrooms and bee viruses. I have 4 large colonies in 8 frame Langstroths & a small 5 on5 nuc (1 of 2, the other got robbed out in October when I was on vacation & I disassembled it). Going to get my 4 section mini nuc frames built up asap & start getting some queens. I read everything that I can about bees & have at least 60 bee keeping books. I want to learn to inseminate & try some actual breeding within the next 2 years but don't know how to get classes in that subject in my area. Any help would be appreciated. Went to the EAS convention this summer & learned an awful lot. I always want to learn & appreciate having a community that will give me more insight into beekeeping, my final profession.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,570 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, rdimanin. We try to keep beekeeping educational and fun.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I'm almost done with Cornell's Master Beekeeping classes & am designing a study to measure how long honey bees continue have decreased viral loads after being fed 1% reishi mushroom extract & 1:1 sugar water.

Went to the EAS convention this summer & learned an awful lot.
Sounds like you are off to a great start, rdimanin. Welcome to Beesource and I'll look forward to hearing how your apiary shapes-up.

Russ

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Welcome to the site and beekeeping. Do you grow your own mushrooms? That's something I have been thinking about. J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts