Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed and tested my home made boiler for heating the knives on the Silver Queen. I used a empty propane tank like the one used on your bbq grill and removed the valve. I then filled with water and started drilling three holes in the top. One for filling, one for a steam line and the other for a pressure and temp gauge. I then welded the fittings into the tank, inserted a six inch 3/4 NPT pipe into the valve hole and then installed a boiler pressure release valve set at 15 PSI. I installed the pressure/temp gauge and then put a nice coat of paint on the ole girl. On the discharge side from the uncapper I ran a hose and inserted a brass restrictor plug with a small hole drilled through it so that the steam pressure is maintained.
It has the capacity to hold about 5 gallons of water, but I have decided to keep it at about a 3 gallon or so operating level. I heat the tank with a propane burner, like the kind you use to fry the turkey with.
I just fired it up for my initial test it works like a champ, and I am doing a test tomorrow to measure the run time on a three gallon water supply. The good thing about this whole system is the cost. I have a total of about fifty dollars invested in the complete rig.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"for heating the knives on the Silver Queen"

Why heat the knives with steam? I use about 170 degree water and the new style knives. I get some bunching rather than capping of new comb. Does this "hotter knife" solve that problem?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it does, the steam is much better, and I also use the steam to raise the water temp to melt cappings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts