Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st year, 1st hive. I currently have an 8 frame deep with a 3 lb. package installed just over a week ago. The guy that gave me the hive also gave me a "medium" with 8 frames w/ plastic foundation. I told him that I did my first inspection and things looked good and the queen was laying eggs. He asked if I wanted a "super" to put on next or if I was going to use the medium he gave me. I am just trying to build the colony up enough to survive this winter and don't plan on harvesting anything this season. So should I go ahead and add the medium(once it is time) I have and let them start building on that or should I add another deep box or what would you recommend?

I don't know if there is a difference between the function of a medium, compared to a super or a deep? Or if the size is the only difference and the bees will preform the same no matter what size box I add next. Are there benefits to using one over the other? I figure there is a substantial weight difference once they are full.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
This is strictly a personal opinion thing. The bees won't care. They will build what they want in whichever box you give them.

Personally I use all deeps. I don't mind the weight and feel the advantage of uniform equipment outweighs the disadvantage of weight. I like that no matter what I need to do in a given hive, the equipment I brought will do the job. It all fits. I am never stuck with needing another medium frame but only have deeps with me, or vice versa. The same advantage is had when you use all mediums--the bees don't care and you always have the right equipment PLUS it weighs less when full. The only minus to mediums that I can see is needing more of them to provide the same amount of space as a deep. Supers have that same disadvantage BIG TIME, which is why I don't use them at all. Plus some queens do not like to cross the gap between so many small boxes.

But when it comes to deep vs medium--either one will work very nicely and both lend themselves to being the only size box you need. Using one size is especially helpful, I think, when you only have a handful of hives and don't have as much equipment yet.

JMO

Rusty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts