Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put a sheet of newspaper between a quilt box and the top box and then treat a hive with OAV I am thinking the newspaper will keep the OAV from going out the top of the quilt box resulting in less work moving equipment. Adding the newspaper will allow me to leave the quilt box on and save the step of rearanging the hive again after the treatment since I think the bees will chew thru the newspaper in a few days. I am planning on treating from the bottom of the hive. Right now I have both a top (in the quilt box) and a bottom entrance.

My steps with the above procedure will be:
1. remove quilt box and place news paper under quilt box
2. treat with OAV

My alternative is:
1. remove quilt box
2. place cover on hive
3. treat with OAV
4. remove cover
5. replace quilt box.

Has anyone ever tried something like this? Do you see any flaws in my logic?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I always OAV with QBs in place, with no barrier, and I never see any evidence of it escaping. I think you're making unnecessary work for yourself. The QBs vent moisture vapor, not OAV crystals. It is not in a gaseous state (notwithstanding the gas mask you're wearing.) I only place a barrier in the hive when I have supers on.

Besides there are always tons of bees clinging to the underside of my QBs, removing the QB from the hive would mean scraping them all down on to the frames and would add a huge rumpus to treatment day. And often I OAV when I would be reluctant to open the hive and expose my bees to the outside air temps at the time.

My QBs are shallow-depth boxes, with a fabric floor, filled to the rim with pine shavings. A vent shim above that. And a telecover with foam insulation tucked up inside. YMMV

Nancy

·
Registered
84 Posts
... rumpus ... ? :shhhh:
I haven't heard "rumpus" used in quite a while!

I like it and will use it !

Thanks for increasing my lexicon (as well as my beekeeping knowledge) .

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Nancy.

I forgot that I had a shim under the lid on one hive when I did OAV last year and saw the OAV vapors coming out of the top. I assumed OAV would also go thru the wood shavings, but it sounds like it will not.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Bring a roll of paper towels with you and stuff a small piece in the upper entrance or vent holes before treatment. This will cut off any upward airflow and prevent crystals from moving through the shavings, just in case that might happen. No need to remove the quilt box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts