Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new package of bees in the TBH on April 17th. Other than 2 fully loaded combs of honey from the previous bees, when I installed the package, the TBH hive was empty (meaning, only top bars, no old drawn comb; these new bees have had to start from scratch on making comb). I started feeding them 1:1 right away. They have been drawing comb fine. They like the 1:1 for sure. They already are going out to forage, coming back with pollen (weather is still iffy here, so some days they stay in the hive). I already pulled back the false back a few days ago. For how long should I continue to feed 1:1? Do they get used to the 1:1 and it discourages them to forage?

Thank you.

Sylvia

·
Registered
159 Posts
I over fed my package and they started filling the brood nest with syrup. I actually made a thread about it. I was told to feed so they can draw comb but not fill it with syrup. Some people only give them a certain amount per week but I just stopped feeding and it worked fine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh, them filling the brood nest with syrup doesn’t allow the queen to lay to full potential. That’s why it’s bad.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
once they have 4-6 comb built I would think the 1:1 can be stopped. they do have the 2 frames of honey as well.
maybe taper it to 50% at 4 combs and stop it at 6 or something if you wish.
Also open and inspect after 21 days in the hive, if the frames are getting filled then slow down, Ideally a 1-2 inch band of honey at the top and the rest is brood and pollen is what you want. If the frame is 1/2 full it is 1/2 unusable to the bees all summer.

GG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts