Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I captured an afterswarm a week ago, dumped them into a western super with ten frames of drawn, empty comb. Then I put a deep with bare foundation on top, top feeder, and let them bee...

Yesterday, I looked in on them, and they are drawing comb and putting a little nectar/syrup as well as some pollen - in the deep on top. No eggs, keeping my fingers crossed for a couple more weeks. They are doing nothing at all in the western on bottom, seem to just be crawling up it to get to the deep.

Should I pull the western out and leave them the deep? I don't really want a western in the broodspace, and could use it again for swarms. Any downside, as long as I brush the few bees in the western frames onto the deep?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
they are programed to draw comb and make wax after a swarm, so they will usually ignore drawn frames. it makes no difference to the bees what box they are in(western,etc) as long as they have enough space, and yet small enough to defend. give'em 1 box at a time, add when they are 70-80 %full. good luck,mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts