Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am honeykay i am trying to learn about bees, i have a dead butternut tree that has a hole in it and it is full of honey bees,they were discovered last summer. I was cutting grass and looked up and there they was. I didnot get stung--so i left them alone.i tried contacting local bee keepers in my area in ohio but they didnot reply.we had 4 foot of snow this past winter and it was very cold, and i worried about the bees so i put insulation around part of the hole. Come spring i put out pancake syrup and they really jumped on that, so now i am gathering all the info on this forum to keep and learn about these bees. We have a small farm with a small lake, we sold our cows, horses, and pigs do to my husbands injurys. Now we have three dogs,i cat, ***** that come around and of course deer that i feed,and birdfeeders everywhere.--people are telling me to call termenex and get rid of the bees but i will not do that.sooooo! Here i am learning from all of you. Thanks for your help------.:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to this forum. As long as your okay with it, those bees are probably fine where they are at and will pollinate everyones trees/crops in the area. Trouble is you won't be able to get any honey. You can feed them a 50/50 water sugar solution in the early spring incase they are running low on food. The beekeepers you called probably realized that it what be to much work to get them out of that tree. You could post this dilemma in the general forum or new beekeeper section and see what advise people may have. Like it not your kinda a beekeeper now. :doh:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Welcome,
I agree if they aren't bothering you, just let them be. They are doing an important service for the neighborhood, & we depend on them for over 60% of our food.

Get yourself a good beginner beekeeping book to read. Even if you don't intend to start beekeeping you can get a lot of interesting information from one.There is a new one out called complete idiots guide to beekeeping, a lot of the guys are giving good reviews. I think amazon.com sells it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome,
I agree if they aren't bothering you, just let them be. They are doing an important service for the neighborhood, & we depend on them for over 60% of our food.

Get yourself a good beginner beekeeping book to read. Even if you don't intend to start beekeeping you can get a lot of interesting information from one.There is a new one out called complete idiots guide to beekeeping, a lot of the guys are giving good reviews. I think amazon.com sells it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input, they are amazing to watch, i guess they are all on a mission, thats where that saying comes from --buzy as a bee-- haha.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Welcome!
It is great to see another person from this area of Ohio who cares about the bees.
Please feel free to contact us if you would like some help.

Please don't call an exterminator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts