Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made it through the first winter and still have bees, went out and about three weeks ago and put a 1 1/2 inch spacer under the inner cover and put a sugar block in to give them a head start for spring all was good they were a bit testy but it was chilly. I got my new hive set up so I could do a spilt when it gets warmer and noticed they where mostly using the top vent more than the entrance and where a little more than just a little testy, I got stung once just passing by and run off when I went over to watch and see what was going on that has not happened before. any Ideas of what is going on I am not sure about doing a split if I have a problem.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
You are going to have to go into the hive to figure out what is going on. They could have lost their queen. Often, a split will calm down a hot hive because hives also tend to get hotter as they become stronger. Some hives prefer the upper entrance and that is not a problem of itself. BTW, "Be a cold day in hell before I sell my plews for $5".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are going to have to go into the hive to figure out what is going on. They could have lost their queen. Often, a split will calm down a hot hive because hives also tend to get hotter as they become stronger. Some hives prefer the upper entrance and that is not a problem of itself. BTW, "Be a cold day in hell before I sell my plews for $5".
Thanks for the reply when it warms up a little more and quits raining every other day I will break it down and see what I find.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
751 Posts
About them using the top entrance- not a big deal at all. Colonies usually move up to the top of a stack during winter because heat moves up. Our moderator is already offering sage advice. Love that you are watching the weather and temps. Congrats on over wintering. Well done.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
They're more prone to stress in April, even simple manipulations can set them back quite a bit.

Temps in your area are plenty warm to feed syrup.

My advice, get rid of the shim and the sugar brick and give them syrup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're more prone to stress in April, even simple manipulations can set them back quite a bit.

Temps in your area are plenty warm to feed syrup.

My advice, get rid of the shim and the sugar brick and give them syrup.
Soon as I get a decent couple days I am going to do that, I will wait till it gets into the mid 70s and stays there then go in and see what I have and if I can do a split. Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts