Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, stocking up on the tools. I'll be starting with TBHs. Most lists for beginners assume Langstroth hives.

I think I will need:

A veil at a minimum but a jacket might be better. If I end up chasing swarms a suit might be better?

A smoker.

A bee brush.

something to disconnect the comb from the sides/bottom. A putty knife? A pocket knife? A hive tool?

Is that about it?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
The only thing I can help you with is the swarm catching. Swarming bees seldom if ever sting. You will need much less protection from a swarm than you will from a hive.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Newbee too.
From little i've done with my tbh, i would say a brush would be nice. i dont have one and wish i did.(i'm on the lookout for a large feather-M.B. says they work well)
I dont use a smoker, thus a suit is manditory- and gloves,-and ductape.(hope you end up with nicer bees).
I just made a long handled blade, on someone's recommendation, but haven't used it yet. Seems like a real good idea. The slim-jim i have been using gets abit tricky to manage after it gets laden with honey.
Good luck with your tbh they're a lot of fun.
Good luck with your swarms,too. I'm not sure which is more fun!-j

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>A veil at a minimum but a jacket might be better. If I end up chasing swarms a suit might be better?

I'd get the jacket with a zip on veil or a Golden Bee Products suit.

>something to disconnect the comb from the sides/bottom. A putty knife? A pocket knife? A hive tool?

I'd get the Italian hive tool from Brushy Mt. It's got a lot of reach for cutting some comb near the bottom of the side. But a long knife might work pretty well.

A brush or a feather is nice. You can't shake the bees off with top bars, you'll have to brush them off on occasion.

·
Registered
609 Posts
a couple of five gallon buckets with lids for harvesting and crushing, straining all that wonderful comb honey! a large needle and dental floss (or big rubber bands) for repairing the occasional broken brood comb. also read all the archives from the top bar forum here at bee source.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Buckets-definately.

A few 'swarm trapping' frames designed to fit your tbh might be sometime very handy. They would be something you'd want to make up ahead of time and have on hand 'cause when you need one, you want it right now. I used one for for a comb failure once and was very happy i had it with me.-j

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
John, make those buckets "Food Grade". you can get em from any bakery. They get flour and icing in them. It helps to stay legal.

Hawk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good smoker? And what size for a bee-ginner who may eventually grow to a moderate (20-30) hives?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts