Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...the more I research the more I hear about swarming! Is this something that is just inevitable? Because my mother (who is my next door neighbor) is just going to FLIP if she walks outside and there are several thousand bees balled up on her dogwood lol
Can you keep it from happening and what do you do if it DOES happen?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Boy... you`re going to get a lot of answers on this one. There are many methods to reduce swarming, some better than others. Read up on it. There is a lot on the subject.

But if you have bees, eventually you will have a swarm... no matter how good you are with these methods. It is the bee`s nature to swarm. It is what guarantees their survival as a species. It is also the feature that makes them a great reproducing stock! But not to worry. Swarms in general are very gentle (they have no nest or brood to protect. You can put your hand right into one and they will cluster on your hand and you can walk away with it). So if you can reach the swarm then capture it and hive it. If you don`t want the extra bees, then give them to another beek.

Swarm hunting/capturing is a fun free way to increase your stock. It`s all part of beekeeping.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Luc

·
Registered
760 Posts
id take a swarm over packaged bees anyday !!!

its the thrill of the hunt and capture of the swarms -
but you can prevent swarms (sum what) by making splits as soon as you fing swarm cells - but its hard to stop a swarming hive once they start the idea

also bees are more defencive while they are polination then swarming -
but yeah swarms are just a part of the beekeeping hobby

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was a great response! As I was typing the question my partner said something to the effect of "What the H E double hockey sticks is a swarm? that don't sound good!" lol Nice to know I can now tell him that it's not a swarm like on the movie swarm..you know, the killer kind haha
So I guess I should keep some extra equipment in case I get a freebie hangin off a branch somewhere then right? ha!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Yes, one should always have extra equipment around. I must admit it is terribly fun to walk up to a big swarm while scared folks are standing around, shake the swarm into a box, and stand there in a cloud of bees w/o any protective gear on. :D:applause:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts