Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hive started March 27. Added a 2nd super 2 weeks ago. HOLY COW! the bees were wall to wall! I couldn't believe how they've built up the comb and the population has just exploded. Overall I was pleased with what we saw.

We found the queen. She has moved up into the 2nd super and we were seeing lots of brood, capped & uncapped. in the bottom super, where brood used to be, it appears they are now storing nectar/syrup in the browned comb. is this 'normal'? anything to be concerned about?

is it okay that the queen is upstairs? We added a 3rd super, and are hoping they will start using that for honey. will the queen move up again? I'm starting to feel a tad overwhelmed now. i'm please they are doing so well and the hive appears strong but i'm on the verge of feeling lost.

Also, when doing inspections from here forward, is it necessary to go all the way thru to the bottom super? or should we basically concentrate on where the queen is hanging out and brood is happening?

TIA.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if you're feeling lost, i recomend a trip to your local library, join your local bee club,and search the beekeeping basics forum here. good luck,mike

·
Registered
717 Posts
Since you already added a 3rd super, I guess that box # 2 is at least 70 - 80 % drawn. I might consider reversing #1 & #2, see if you can get her to re-brood old box #1 above her before it is nectar or honey-bound & then do a split.

If they are as gang-busters as you say, it wouldn't take long & then you can get back to makin honey.

This winter they won't move down for all those stores they worked on all year - you'll have drawn comb (priceless), & stores, but if things go wrong with one of your hives during the year, it would be nice to be able do a combine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you talking about deeps or mediums. If you are talking about mediums, then you will need three for a strong colony. If you are talking about deeps, two should be plenty.
If you have drawn comb in your honey supers, you can use a queen excluder. If you don't have drawn comb, the excluder will inhibit comb building.
Above all, don't worry too much about managing where brood and honey is being stored, the bees will figure it out. But you should not let them get honey bound or overpopulated enough to swarm.
If need be, you can remove full frames of honey and replace them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts