Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a hive with Pirco frames last spring and it got back ordered so was delivered too late to put in bees. I set it up as a bait hive this week (lower deep empty, upper deep filled, lemon grass oil) and have no idea how to proceed once I catch a swarm... Remove empty box to above w/frames or...
Just need direction

Thanks,
Crag001

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
when a swarm moves into a hive give them enough time to settle in, I like to add some drawn comb, to encourage the queen to begin laying. better yet I add some brood. once they get working on the comb I get the empty hive body out before they begin to get too much bur come in it. as a general rule I do not leave an empty hive body under the frames but rather a single with a few frames out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copy that.

Unfortunately I have no drawn comb to offer them. Would you recommend just the one box with about 5 frames or bottom with 5 and a full second box.

I know, newbies suck right ROTFLOL

·
Registered
208 Posts
Maybe I don't understand how you set this up, but if you have 2 boxes why not make 2 swarm traps and double your chances? I wouldn't put an empty box out to make a double box swarm trap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was following some info I found on a beekeeping site. Said place a full hive body on top of an empty to give them a large area to enter and put attractant in it.
BTW I only have one bottom and one inner and outer cover at this time. It is the beginner kit from Better Bee. I put the supers away till i need them.
Like I said guys..NEWBIE

·
Registered
652 Posts
To make a temp bottom just use a piece of 1/2 - 3/4" plywood and put 1/4" shim to make an opening. Then whichever catches one first goes with the main setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts