Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started 3 new colonies this spring. Late spring actually. 2 of them seem to be doing pretty good. This year I started with 1 package in a 10 frame deep, and 2 packages in 8 frame mediums (2 mediums each colony). The queen in the deep hive vanished and I ordered a new one and she came in 2 weeks ago. She hasn't started laying any brood yet. She's just now out of the queen cage. Would there be any problem taking a frame of brood from each of the stronger colonies and putting it in the weak one? The problem is, both of the strong hives are on medium frames and the weak one is in a deep.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
use mostly capped brood and remove when hatched, or just leave the wild comb on it. i'd put it on the outside to make less of a mess, and mark the top bar so you know thats the one.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have done that, the only problem is that when you take a frame out of the top and bottom of the med. hive bodies to make room for the deep frames there will be extra space at the bottom between the bottom board and deep frames where the bees will build burr comb. Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts