Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just installed my first bees. Was going to place bag feeder on top with a 1 to 1 ratio, but didn’t have room. So I places it on bottom screen. Is that ok?

Thanks,
DennyL82

·
Registered
456 Posts
That won't hurt anything, just make sure you didn't plug up the entrance from the inside. Baggie feeders usually require a shim (like a 1 inch deep 'box'), they are super easy to make yourself. Taking the hive apart every time you feed them is going to get old real fast!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I ensured they opening was clear. Yesterday was beautiful here in NJ and had a lot of bee action around hive. So feeling better. Added a bottom feeder, and in a few days will open hive to see if queen is ok, and the bees have started building combs.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
So I places it on bottom screen. Is that ok? Thanks,
Only one experience with a baggy feeder, let’s just say, I have never used them again. The only issue I would see at the bottom is that if the bag “releases” more feed than the bees can consume & your entrance is not extremely reduced, it will attract robbers, similar to a board man feeder that is not level or has to many holes in the lid.. I would suggest frame feeders or hive top feeders any day over the rest..

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only issue I would see at the bottom is that if the bag “releases” more feed than the bees can consume & your entrance is not extremely reduced, it will attract robbers, similar to a board man feeder that is not level or has to many holes in the lid..
Are we talking about ziplok bags of syrup here? Maybe I am missing something but when I have used bag feeders they did not release any liquid into the hive. I partially filled the bag with syrup and zipped the bag closed, laid it in the hive and (using a razor blade) cut two or three slits in the bag (near the center of the bag). This exposes the syrup but does not release it (if done properly). If needed I would press down on the bag to get a little syrup on top of the bag so the bees know food is there. The bees usually drained the bags almost completely without spilling a drop in the hive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I just got a new top feeder in! Installed last night. Trying to get something to pull the bad feeder out without fully opening the hive. Its been cold the past few days. Suppose to be warm this weekend and hope to check that the bees are making combs and see if the queen is released and safe. Just praying I am doing everything right and that I am successful at this. So exciting and learning a lot about honey bees. Just incredible how the function as a colony.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts