Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've read enough about trapouts and watched YT videos enough times to have gained enough courage to try trapouts.
I knew of 2 bee trees through the entire Winter and waited until Spring to try them. Spring is getting close.

Just a few minutes ago I found another bee tree (within 1,000 feet of the first bee tree I found) just because that Small Still Voice told me to walk a fence row and look at the big hardwood trees. There it was about 16 feet up. The hole looks big enough for a racoon to crawl into.

Its March 11 and the Easter cold snap is still to come and pass, so I'm not sure whether its too early to start a trapout?
I've been seeing bees bringing pollen into my 2 hives for the last few weeks. Is that a sign that its OK to start a trapout?

What are the differences in procedure for taking starts from a bee tree instead of doing a trapout?
I hope that's not too many questions for one thread.

Thanks in advance for your input.

bnt

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I would not start a trap out until the weather is warm without the threat of cold nights

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
You guys in this day and age are lucky. My first cutout I had never worked with bees at all and had only an obscure reference in ABC and XZY of Bee Culture about "tying combs into frames". You get to watch people do it! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Its March 11 and the Easter cold snap is still to come and pass, so I'm not sure whether its too early to start a trapout?
No.

I've been seeing bees bringing pollen into my 2 hives for the last few weeks. Is that a sign that its OK to start a trapout?
Yes. Girls are hauling loads of pollen in right now and there have been several swarms caught locally.

What are the differences in procedure for taking starts from a bee tree instead of doing a trapout?
When taking starts, leave the cone/funnel out. To trap them out, install the funnel.

Mike KC5FGP

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys in this day and age are lucky. My first cutout I had never worked with bees at all and had only an obscure reference in ABC and XZY of Bee Culture about "tying combs into frames". You get to watch people do it! :)
Hi Michael,

You're absolutely right. Its been maybe 20 years ago that I saw my first swarm of bees on a relatively low tree limb about 100 yards from my front door. I was afraid to go near them back then, but now I hope to find them regularly. That is because of watching so many youtube videos and learning that swarm time is one of the best times to get bees and that unless you're allergic to bee stings a swarm is nothing to be afraid of.

We fellows who have it so good today is the result of guys like you who share knowledge and procedures so freely.

THANK YOU,
bnt

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input.

This thread is living proof of the saying that if you ask a dozen beeks a question you'll get a dozen answers - many of them different and some conflicting.

I think there's at least 3 reasons for that.
1 Location
2 Location and
3 Location

bnt

·
Registered
245 Posts
Indeed. I have learned more here than anywhere else. I have saved Mr Bush's web site and following much of his advice. ....except that "winter" stuff (whatever that is) LOL !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts