Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Boonsboro, MD and although having helped with bees over 30 years ago (I was the muscle, not the brains), I never got into the whys and wherefors. I just got the equipment together and took a beekeeping class to start a couple of hives. I plan on collecting swarms to get started if I can. I've got a hive out now with swarm lure in it, but no luck yet. I look forward to learning from you all here and I also plan on going the local Apiary Society.

Scott Allen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Scott, I'm not an expert in any way, but I think it might be a little early for swarms in your area. I live in central PA and I've been told that swarm season where I live is June. I wouldn't think it won't hurt to have the traps out and I can't wait to hear how it goes. I'm sure your local bee club knows when swarm season is.

Good luck!

Kate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcomes! Kate, with the warm weather I think they could swarm most any time. My neighbor just got his first bees delivered yesterday and I helped him install them. I may get impatient and try to find a package or two! I really don't want to spend the money though. I also thought getting a swarm is just a real neat way to start. Maybe I could trade some of the local beekeepers, work for bees.....

Scott

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome Scott, a swarm is cost free BUT not reliable way to get going. You could get a package and then do splits to get an increase in hives with less cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts