Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I am a beginning keeper living in the vicinity of Greensboro, North Carolina. I am excited to have found this site - I am the owner of two vBulletin website communities (sorry for listing the links originally) and love the real sense of community that can be achieved with great members. I have always wanted to keep bees, but for some reason have never pulled the trigger until now. I am an avid gardener and homebrewer and am now taking the plunge. I've set up my two starter Langstroth hives and will get my first two NUCs in April. I attended a Bee School in April in Asheville that was just amazing. I told my friend who attended with me it was like stumbling into a cult. I learned a ton, and of course have a ton to learn. I quickly tuned into the fact that there are almost no black and white straightforward answers to bee keeping questions. For every 'fact' or 'opinion', there are equally educated contradictory beliefs. I believe, like homebrewing, you just have to dive in, try to learn continuously, and not be afraid to try something different.

Again, thrilled to have found beesource. Look forward to learning a lot from everyone here :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Welcome to this awesome forum, I consider it an online bee library, and everyone very helpful.
Deb

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Welcome. Yes, while there are often no black and white answers, there are still a lot of mistakes that can easily be made. The trick is to learn which times the answers are black and white, which times they are situational, time of year, regional, etc. That is when it becomes art instead of science.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations on the plunge into beekeeping. I think you are correct. It has cultlike characteristics..lol I started 3 years ago last month with two packages and am up to 9 hives now, that number changes periodically. I think you will very much enjoy your new hobby. I also raise a large garden, chickens, etc..

Rick in Rockingham County, NC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts