Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am wrestling with this battle of whether to leave these hives alone or constantly inspect/learn. Last Friday 5/23 we did a complete inspection and found both hives to have brood on both sides of about 3 frame that was mostly capped. Foundation was under construction on 6 frames in one hive and 7 frames in the other. These hives are brand new with package installations done 5/2/14. On Tuesday, 5/27, we removed both top feeders. I learned from reading here on this forum that , from what I can tell, we are in the nectar flow here now. I also learned that we should not feed the bees from a feeder during the flow as it can cause them to leave the hive. I am guessing that by now I have pushed the envelope on letting these bees fill the one deep box they are currently in.
So, here is my question: When I open up these hives later today, if I find that they have built foundation on all but the outer two frames, should I add the second deep box? When I add that box, should I move frames around or just set the new box atop the first one and then cap off with inner and outer covers?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and I forgot to mention we have never seen the queen in one of the hives. Brood appears to have larva, but there is a huge queen cell in the middle of one of the center frames.
I'm so confused! Help!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Wait until ALL your frames are drawn before adding a second box OR check with local folks to learn how things are best done in your location.

·
Registered
378 Posts
He who wait may be lost... if its warm enough that second box at this stage may be the right call.. have someone snap some pictures and then you can really get some conflicting opinions on what you should do...
I vote add a box ...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
also consider the bee population, 80 percent of combs drawn and the box is full of bees add a box. if this time of year the bees are back filling the brood area with nectar add a box... queen cells on the bottom of the frames: swarming preparation is happening, you are late adding a box consider a split or manage for a swarm. if the queen cells are up on the frame, watch the situation, another box may be indicated, the bees will sort this out this time of year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
---"I am wrestling with this battle of whether to leave these hives alone or constantly inspect/learn."

Here is my answer to the first question. Someone on this site said that knowledge is power. That gave me permission to play in my hives all I wanted to. LOL. Always be very careful to not squish a queen, but at this stage in your endeaver, the things you will learn are more important that the consequences of a mistake. So, you have my permission to play in the hive at least once a week. :lookout: For me, that has been a good schedule. Every ten days is good, but I only have the weekends.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody!
We will know much more when we pull them open later today or tomorrow morning! My guess is...they will have a second story on them by this time tomorrow! (That is....unless those outside frames are still clean....or they packed up and left!!) (Wow, we don't even own any super frames or excluders...didn't think we would need them this year...and we may not need them...but I think we will go buy more equipment just in case. May even buy a spec home for a swarm just in case we get lucky and find one!!!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts