Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,
What a wonderful group and such great info. I've recently brought all of my Dad's equipment from KY to central WI. I've got 3 packages ordered and am sorting out, cleaning, and painting the old stuff. I have so many questions even though I've read many? of the recommended beginner posts.

Dad's hive bodies were deep with a combination of wood framed wired foundation and the easyframe type ( all white plastic with comb molds originally coated with wax). Wax moth did a number on everything although he said he never had foulbrood or other problems other than mites. The stuff has been stored for years in an old barn and some is good, some rotted. Looks like I'll have to buy all new supers, frames and foundation for them. I'm leaning toward mediums after reading your posts. Are they the 6 5/8 size?

Can I recoat the plastic/foundation frames successfully with wax? I've run them through the dishwasher several times and after scraping off some propolis, they look pretty good.

Has anyone had success with the beemax insulated hives? I thought I might set one up and compare hive health since we get some cold winters.

Do I sound really naive? I am and would appreciate any feedback.

Mabe

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I'm leaning toward mediums after reading your posts. Are they the 6 5/8 size?

Yes. A medium box is 6 5/8". A medium frame is 6 1/4".

>Can I recoat the plastic/foundation frames successfully with wax?

Some people have brushed melted beeswax on the plastic foundation with a paint brush. I think you'll find it's not that big of a deal with old plastic that had comb on it once already. It won't smell like new plastic anymore and I'm guessing the bees will draw it without too much problem. But waxing it certainly won't hurt if you have the time and the inclination. New unwaxed plastic is not very well accepted in my experience.

>Has anyone had success with the beemax insulated hives?

I tried three medium boxes with the foam lids and solid bottoms just for wintering as nucs. They didn't do that well. One of the three is still alive. But they might do fine as a hive.

>I thought I might set one up and compare hive health since we get some cold winters.

Most people seem to think they start raising brood earlier in the foam boxes in the Northern climates. Since I won't be using them for nucs again, I'll try a hive with three of them going into winter next year and see how they do.

>Do I sound really naive? I am and would appreciate any feedback.

Feedback on if you sound naive? lol. No. You sound like you have some idea of what you are doing. But even if you did sound naive, how else will you learn than to ask questions?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Mabe, I sent you a private message about some Beemax deeps. Welcome to the forum! Are you in east-central Wisconsin by any chance?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the info and encouragement!

Mabe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts