Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Guess what I got for Christmas?? A top bar system. I have never dabbled in bees so I am new. I am located near New Stanton and would love to join the group from Washington PA. I have lots to learn and this is where I am going to start. Any good advice you can give me will be well appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Welcome to the forum "doodledo" & "Fryeer"

Doodledo there is a TBH section in the forum where TBH people have a lot of information on them.

Fryeer you posted in the welcome section fo the forum not the diseussion section Have a Nice day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to the forum "doodledo" & "Fryeer"

Doodledo there is a TBH section in the forum where TBH people have a lot of information on them.

Fryeer you posted in the welcome section fo the forum not the diseussion section Have a Nice day.
well when I figer out how this web page is layed out I wont do that

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi,
My name is Carrie and I started my top bar hive last spring,and I am anxiously awaiting to see if they make it through the winter. We had alot of rain this summer, and I may not have had enough honey stores.
I also have a broken leg right now, so I hope they last until a warm day and I am healed enough to give them some sugar.
I have learned alot, and learned that them more I know, the more I need to learn. It has been fun, joyous and satisfying. If I lose the hive, I will start a new one.
There are lots of TBH sites, with Liam Goble in Penn State being the closest mentor, experienced TBH beek that I know. I am personally mentored by
Joey at www.customwoodkits.com via internet and cell phone, and he has been great, I cannot articulate the love of bees and educational gift this man has.
Good luck, and private message me if you want to get together in the spring, or you have any questions,

Carrie

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'm located near wheeling and would love to meet with you and Carie in Washington PA sometime.
And then there were 3.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice to see all the new beeks in western PA, I am located about 30 minutes west of you. I personally run 50 or so langstroth colonies, so I do not know much about your TBH. Check out the following website http://www.honeybeehabitat.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx, they appear to be working with Beeline Apiaries of Bedford, PA. They may be a local source for additional equipment.
Good luck with your bees this year.
Al

·
Registered
177 Posts
You have plenty of time to read more than you need before spring. But, The #1 Thing! Order your bees. Your first year is for learning hands on. With bees in the hive your questions on the forums will be more targeted. You will get a lot of answers and will have to adjust to your own comfort level. So I say order those bees and learn by doing. I will help you all I can.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To Laurelmtnlover,
Yes, Carrie I met you at the Southside market in late Nov. Sorry to hear about your leg. Hope you will be well enough to tend your TBH this spring.

For those who are new to beekeeping, you may find the following link useful, http://beaver.extension.psu.edu/Agriculture/Beekeeping_pre.html . Penn State Cooperative Extension is sponsering two beginers beekeeping seminars plus a Two Day Seminar here in western PA. The dates are in February. Granted, the emphasis is not on TBH, but there should be good info for the beginer to the advance beekeeper.
Hope to see a few of you there.
Al

1 - 15 of 15 Posts