Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone.

I just finished my 2 day crash course on beekeeping at the University of Minnesota and I'm looking forward to getting my first colony. Right now I'm in the process of searching for a mentor so I can at least have someone present with me when I hive my bees and do my first inspection. I'm a little nervous about going it alone.

I look forward to getting to know other beekeepers out there in the world :)

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Welcome. Born and raising in central Minn.

The nerves will settle down just fine...

Did Gary Reuter do the class?? Did you meet
Marla?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did Gary Reuter do the class?? Did you meet
Marla?
Yes, both Marla and Gary did the class. He did the visuals on keeping the bees, she did the lecture. I thought it was a great experience. If I manage to find bees to buy this year I'll be returning for the 2nd course next year :)

Thanks for the welcoming everyone!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome,
Did you find some bees? Last I heard Nature's Nectar in stillwater still had some. Might try B&B Honey farm in Houston, MN. Somewhere down south I think. Mann Lake gets a shipment in and I think you can still get an order in with them. Little bit of a drive but worth getting the bees if you can't find anything closer. Reminds me that I need to get my order in to them too.
Nuke.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If you havn't found bees, look to join a local beekeeping association. Once you attend a meeting, ask if anyone is willing to sell you a hive, or sell you a split. Around spring time, I'd be willing to bet someone would sell you a split for a decent price if it's your first. Just a thought though.

Welcome.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Pixie, it will be fine.:) If you can't find a real mentor, don't worry. This site has thousands of virtual mentors, and innumerable posts on almost every worry you have. A little searching goes a long way. If you are a visual learner look up "Hiving a package" on YouTube. There were lots of examples when I checked. I took the same course last year, the booklet they provided was excellent. Enjoy. Adrian.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Adrian :)

specialkayme and nuke, I found some bees :) Placing my order tomorrow morning and picking them up on April 21. Very exciting and scary at the same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts