Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal. I have always wanted to get into beekeeping. Ever since I was a child when I would watch my grandpa get on the bee suit and tend to his hives. Well, he passed away about 7 years ago but his memories carried on. I'm 31 now and not really sure where or how to start. However I'm in a position now where I ccan start a hive of my own. I don't really know what breed to choose or where to start. I Know that on the Island of Kauai the climate is prime and diseases are not a factor yet. I was thinking Italian bees but thats because they were my grandfauthers favorite. Other than that I know beekeeping is a art and I have alot to learn. I'm not even sure how to get a queen and hive started. But eager to learn. Thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome Theron! My wife and I were married on the GardenIsland over 20 years ago right after the hurricane. We were blessed by rain on the early morning ceremony on the beach on the North Side! I had every intention to surf but once I saw the waves and realized this wasn't Galveston I sat on the beach!!The island is so beautiful and the Pacific Grand Canyon was our favorite along with the waterfalls and coves. We were also petrified when the hotel management beat on our door and we had to evacuate one morning because of a Tsunami warning. Neither of us had ever even heard the word. We spent most of the day at a public school on high ground but the day was wonderful as we met hundreds of locals.
Give this gentleman an email and he will help you I'm sure. [email protected]
Welcome again and great luck with the bees!

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Several years ago I spent a couple of weeks on your island. A grand place. One thing I noticed was that everywhere, even in remote spots, practically every blooming plant was covered with honey bees. I can't imagine it would be difficult to set out a swarm trap and collect a colony of whatever lives in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? That sounds sweet. I love bees ever since a child I was intrigued by them. Never scarred of them. How do you get a swarm trap and identify the bees?

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Welcome...take some classes and hook up with beekeeper...have fun with it!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Welcome to BeeSource! Read everything you can find and watch videos. Get lots of catalogs from manufacturers. Ask lots of questions on BeeSource. You'll do fine and enjoy a great hobby that may turn into an obsession.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts