Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two eight frame medium hives that I am starting this year. I have two hive setups with three hivebodies and frames. What's the maximum number of frames and supers I should plan on having at the peak of the first year?

·
Registered
635 Posts
The simple answer is MORE. whatever you have, you'll need more. Inevitably, you'll get a hive that will be in swarm prep and you'll have to split, or you'll get one hive that expands so rapidly they'll run out of room. A lot depends on the weather and flow. I'm not an expert. I've only had bees one year, but the difference between colonies can be significant. Of my 6, i had one that never got any further than a single 10-frame deep. Considering it started as a 5 frame nuc, thats pretty pathetic. Another ended up filling 3 deeps. A late summer/early fall feral swarm managed to fill out 2 deeps. There simply isn't a good answer for you.

After a summer of scrambling to make more and more and more hive components to meed the needs of the hives, over winter I made a lot of extra boxes and frames. I'll hang most of them as swarm traps, and use some of them in the yard. if I need more, i can simply make more, or if time presses, i can grab one of the swarm traps and use that.

If three medium 8 frames is about the same as 2 deep 10 frames, you've got a good start. if I were you, I'd have at least 2 more boxes ready to go. This assumes you don;t catch any, or have to split to prevent losing a swarm.

Take this "advice" for what it is though. I've only had bees for one year, so i havent seen it all. I also have a shorter season than you do, so your bees havea bit more time to expand.

·
Super Moderator
11,162 Posts
You could extract honey several times during the season to get by with fewer supers than if you were to only extract once per season. The downside is that you will have more time and effort invested in setup and cleaning with multiple extraction sessions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts