Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed my first inspection. Thanks to everyone on theis forum. Your post and responses have been excellent feed for a newbie... Yes, before you asked I got suited up in the hottest part of the day... First time out of the shute and a little leary of my winged buddies... It went without incident - a little smoke entrance and top - let 'em settle and slowly took off the top and board...

The bees are doing great! Inside frames about 80% filled and the outside four frames have about 25% honey. Didn't see any dead bees - other than the one we killed when we installed the hive. Didn'st see the queen this trip but the evidence of her efforts are clearly visible. Oh yeah, tried the sugar water (1:1) spray... Worked great! Kept the little fellars happy and content while I did my look... Didn't have to use any more smoke...

I'm sure my day will come just as it has for some of you but as far as my 1st trip inside the hive it went better than I could have expected. Thanks to all - my little Russians are working like - busy little bees - of course...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats!! It's lots of fun isn't it. And I just spent the middle part of the day dripping in 80 degree Michigan humidity helping a freind try and space out his brood nest so his booming hive doesn't swarm. Funny how quickly you start dripping when you're wearing the head to toe suit. But, I'm a chicken about stings too, so I'd rather sweat.

Let us know how things go.

Misty
Ypsilanti, Michigan
1 TBH, 1 absconded Langstroth, and 1 new nuc with 2 frames donated by friend with swarming hive.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sounds like you might have enjoyed it (CAUTION) on the spraying of sugar water if there is no honey flow, it will cause other bees to come and try robbing out the hive.Enjoy and Have Fun

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a scale of 1 - 10 it was and 11... They were as gentle and calm as they could be... Velbert - thanks for the caution... I didn't drown 'em - just gave them enough to cool 'em off... I like the idea of the sugar spray - if gives them something they can use and reduces the amount of the smoke tha tmight be necessary.. It's all good!!!!

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
It is fun, isn't it. I got a mere 10 to 15 stings today, so I'm happy. A good day it was. Of course, it may be because I didn't open any hives. Just checked a few from the outside and checked a few trap outs I have going.

Where are you in NC?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear from you Mr. Iddee... I live in the foothills in the county of Burke... Not too far from your place. Just about an hour and 1/2 ride. Still intend on coming your way for a visit and some mead - hope, hope, hope...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts