Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Even though I have been a Beekeeper for 20 years Trapping swarms is something I really haven't thought about till now. So let the questions begin.

1. Swarm Trap placement where is the best place to put my boxes ? on Ridges, Down in hollows, on the edge of fields. Where ?

2. Should you keep swarm traps away from established Bee yards ? If so how far ?

3. How close can you set swarm Traps

I'm located in NW Pennsylvania

Thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Best place is anywhere near known hives. In and near an apiary.
Otherwise, anywhere you can find to put a trap, as far as I'm concerned. Lots of discussion in the trapping forum here, about how high to put them, in the shade or in the sun and many other variables. My opinion is that you put out as many as you can in locations that are easy to check, preferably just by driving by. Unless you like hiking and lugging around heavy, awkwardly shaped traps. I put mine between knee and chest high. I catch one to three swarms a year, so I am certainly not one of the great trappers!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have not tried trapping, but I would think that somewhere near water would be a good consideration. I know the feral tree that is close to me, is right on a small stream bank.

Speaking of that tree, I think that the bees may be gone right now. I have not seen any activity for a while.

Happy Home

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Put out a trap last weekend. Perfect location, on my brother's front porch. They have lived there 20 years and most years a swarm moves into a hole in their porch roof. Hoping the smell will attract bees again this year and with any luck they will prefer my hive over the porch. If they choose the roof I'll have to try trapping them out.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Hello,
Even though I have been a Beekeeper for 20 years Trapping swarms is something I really haven't thought about till now. So let the questions begin.

1. Swarm Trap placement where is the best place to put my boxes ? on Ridges, Down in hollows, on the edge of fields. Where ?

2. Should you keep swarm traps away from established Bee yards ? If so how far ?

3. How close can you set swarm Traps

I'm located in NW Pennsylvania

Thanks
Flatiron:

It sounds like AR1 and Happy Home have given you some good feedback. As regards your specific questions:

1. I have had the best luck locating swarm traps on the edges of woodlots, particularly along well-defined edges (i.e. transitions from fields to woods). Beyond that, having an entrance facing in the Southeast quadrant and in the shade have generally attracted the most attention.

2. While I have never seen any exact guidance, many have sworn that traps located no closer than 50 - 75 yards from established colonies is a good minimum distance to start trapping from. Beyond that, I understand that most foragers have a flight radius of approximately 2 miles, so this might serve as lower and upper limits for trapping known colonies.

3. I have had traps located within 10 feet of each other both attract swarms, but I generally try to spread them out over the widest geographic net possible, following a wise man who once advised us to cast our bread upon the waters...

Best of luck to you in your trapping efforts- do let us know how you do!

Russ

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Speaking of that tree, I think that the bees may be gone right now. I have not seen any activity for a while.
I am sorry to hear this, Happy Home. Thankfully this genetic resource lives on in your two colonies. How is the season starting out for you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts