Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started 6 new hives in Central Wi and I thought things we progressing nicely until 2 weeks ago. 5 of the 6 hives swarmed and There is no eggs or lavarve in those hives.

Do I requeen or let nature take its course. I am using all plastic frames and both lower deeps were fully drawn out but not much happend in the meduim supers I installed above them.

So much to learn and we are having fun.

Regards

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
...until 2 weeks ago. 5 of the 6 hives swarmed and There are no eggs or larva in those hives.
The queen stops laying several days prior to swarming so that she can slim down for flight. So if they swarmed 2 weeks ago, the last eggs she laid would be capped brood by now.

Depending on weather and other factors, a swarm typically leaves shortly before the new queen emerges. Once the new queen emerges, she'll stay in the hive several days before going on mating flights. It will be at least 2 weeks, and sometimes as long as 3 weeks from the time she emerges until she starts laying. Mr. Bush's bee math is a handy reference:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

I'd check them regularly looking for signs that the new queen is there and laying. If you don't see the queen, eggs or young larva at 3 weeks post-swarm, order some replacement queens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts