Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Newbie and embedding wire in natural foundation

1478 Views 31 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  moussy
Ok. I got my first piece of wired foundation secured in my wedge/bottom groove medium frame, but then tried to set it on fire while embedding it. The first try blew the circuit breaker on my Betterbee device. The second attempt was too long because the wire in the middle doesn’t get warm enough. Try just little taps to the wires at the end of the frame?
I am using an embedding board and am pressing lightly on the middle of the foundation as I make contact with the two ends.
Can I try a solder iron to each side instead?

Also, I think it was Crofter who mentioned he uses a pair of channel locks to put the nails into the top wedge to secure the foundation. This worked like magic and no misfires with my hammer into the comb. Thank you!
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Floor Flooring

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Rectangle
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,203 Posts
OK, put that device on the shelf.

Go get 4? 1157 bulbs ( and sockets) like Crofter says. Wire all of the red pigtail wires together, all the blacks together, Get a strip if wood like a top bar, but longer. Saw two grooves down it to fit stiff copper wire -try 12 ga?. Cut off pieces of wire, start about 2", strip one end, flatten, and create a fishtail. Connect alternately to the wires embedded in the wood by soldering. about 2" apart, with the ends forming an arc with the tallest in the middle;

Wire from the positive of the battery to the lights, to one of the wires in the "top bar wood", Run another wire from the other wire in the "top bar wood" to the negative.

Start on one wire at one end, contacting the fish tails to the wire. After the right amount of time (adjust with number of 1157 bulbs), rock the "top bar wood" to bring down the next fish tail. Repeat as needed.

I hope you can figure that all out.

Crazy Roland

· Registered
5,203 Posts
Thank you crofter.

Yes, you develop a rhythm. The downside is that the pressure is released when the current flow ends. Putting the fish tails closer helps, but it takes more time.

That was the gadget that we used in the 60's. until I built an overly complicated device that holds the wires independent of passing current thru all 4 wires at once.

Crazy Roland

· Registered
5,203 Posts
I need to head past your place on my way to Watertown in February. I will look for the embedder I described and a few 1157 bulbs. I can leave them with you for a while because I will be using my way over-complicated gadget .

Crazy Roland

1 - 8 of 8 Posts