Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VERY New to idea of beekeeping. I am based in Durango, CO. In my research, it appears that bees are only available for delivery in April/May. Is starting a hive (indoor observation) in July out of the question?
I am a Biology teacher and want to have an observation hive in our room as I plan to teach my entire first semester through the honeybee.
Unfortunately our school has been under renovation so I will not have a classroom to get set up in until mid-July.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Mrs. D,

The best thing would be to find a local beekeeper that can help you get started. To maintain an Obsevation Hive it's best to have access to hives that you can switch frames with. Search through the "Community" section on the Beesource site to see if you can find a local beekeeper. And of course, contact any clubs or state agency that may help to put you in touch with a Beek.

Dewey Caron's book on observation hives is something you may want to buy (I have a copy).

http://www.beeculture.com/store/index.cfm?action=showproducts&CatID=89

Mr. Caron also wrote a very nice book on Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping.

A local beekeeper would most likely be more than happy to help you with this. And starting up could be as easy as loading three frames into your OH. I hope your school is willing to have a small hole drilled through their wall.

Good luck!

Note: I found some Beeks near you. I went to the following page and entered "Durango" as location.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/memberlist.php?do=search

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That's great that you are doing that and the school will allow it. I remember an ob hive in my Junior High Biology class. Better than an aquarium. Couldn,t keep my eyes off it. I'm sure it had something to do with my course of study and some with my career choice. I,ve retired, (tells you how long ago Jr H was:D )My wife teaches 3rd grade and wants me to bring an ob hive to do a talk and career day. Probably will.
good on you:thumbsup:
Rick Fisher SoMd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts