Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new here and to beekeeping and have a few questions. I come from the dog training world (SAR) and as with dog training techniques I see there are as many ways of doing things as there are beekeepers but I would like to get some 'insight' into when I should add a second deep on my new hives.

I am using 10 frame deeps by the way using Pierco black plastic waxed foundation (another discussion altogether). I understand the 70% rule of drawn out comb to add the second box but my question is how much should be drawn out to call that frame drawn out. In other words, the center frame on my 1 week old hives look nice; drawn comb, eggs (1 per cell) , uncapped honey (albeit from sugar water), pollen stored, covered in bees, etc. Queen is doing great. The frames coming out from the center obviously have progressively less comb but do have drawn comb. Next week I will do my second inspection. How much comb constitutes a full frame? i.e just starting to draw out in the center, 100 full to full thickness, somewhere in between?

Thanks for reading this all if you got this far and thanks for any help and insight,
Danny

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
A lot of things are judgment calls. The main thing is that you wait to add it so the weather can improve and the bees can make comb with less room to heat. You add it before they run out of space so they don't swarm. 70%-90% is fine. Running out of space is what you don't want to do. When you have all drawn comb it's even more difficult to say, but if it's not covered in bees, I don't consider it occupied. When 80% of the space they have is occupied I want to double their space.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michael, that makes more sense when said like that. I can relax, for a while anyways.
Danny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts